Sunday, March 8, 2020

DT Margarita Glass Robin Nest Spring Home Decor

Have you ever happened upon an area where the earth is reclaiming an old once-loved property?  Seems like some type of magic is at play.  The paint has started chipping and becoming weathered, decay has set in; yet, little plants and moss have started growing in obscure places.  Forest vines and ivy are veining up bases and through cracks of structures.  

On my last visit to the Dollar Tree I was surprised to find a very thick Margarita glass, it looked out of place among the thin glasses on the shelves.  When I picked it up, the shape reminded me of an old, white iron bird bath I had seen on an abandoned property on the edge of a forested area.  Patina, dirt, vines and moss had over taken it, but a recent spring rain storm had left clear water in its normal murky basin.  Birds were once again flocking to it for a drink.

I tried to recreate the patina in my mind's eye using gesso, chalk paint, and ink wash.  Some dried moss and Baby's Breath with a few feathers made the plastic "robin" eggs look like a viable spring nesting spot for a happy bird.  

I didn't have vines and ivy, but I did have paint, twine, dried moss and … parsley.  Yep, right out of the spice cabinet:  Parsley.  Here is the end result.  It actually only took me a little over an hour to make, well, 2 .. but part of that was watching Supernatural reruns 👻












This is the BEFORE picture - Margarita glass and foam circles from Dollar Tree



2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! I know this must have been so fun to make. The alteration to the glass is fabulous enough but then the nest inside...a treasure trove of Spring goodness!

    ReplyDelete